Monday 7 November 2011

Self Acceptance -Lessons From My HairAffair

For our diet and, indeed, in
every aspect of our lives,
we must remember to relax
from the demands of the
unrealistic ideal. For those
trying to lose weight, you
cannot be the Barbie. For
those lifting weights, you
cannot be the Governor of
California. Accepting this
principle first, can give you
the peace of mind to love
what you do have, lower
frustration, and actually
make weight loss easier in
the long run!
A few years ago while
driving to the drugstore I
watched a family walk
across the street. There was
a woman who appeared to
be in her 70's with a thick
mass of black hair flowing
down her back. Next to her
was another woman 40ish
with a thick mass of black
hair flowing down her back.
And walking with them, a
teen with a thick mass of
black hair flowing down her
back, and alongside her was
a girl about six years old
with a thick mass of black
hair flowing down her back.
The teen was pushing a
pram. I craned my neck and
observed a tiny baby tucked
inside - no there was no
flowing mass of black hair.
But I could see little black
tufts starting up and I was
willing to bet what that
would look like in the
future.
I drove on to the drugstore
feeling a bit gloomy. When I
got to the store, I saw rows
of hair beautification
products. Products to pump
up the volume, smooth, curl,
add bounce. I had tried
many of them in the past
with maybe some
improvement but not much.
What I really needed was
more hair. If any of those
ladies walking would give
me just a little bit of their
hair I would really benefit
and I doubt if they would
miss it. I have baby fine
blond hair. The kind that
wilts in the heat, hangs
limply in the rain and loses
its style quickly.
Later that week, I happened
to catch the talk show
Maury. Women were on the
show complaining about
their hair. One young
African American lady
caught my attention. About
14 years old, she had wiry
black hair. It sprouted out
from her head and went all
over the place. She cried as
she told Maury that she had
not had a comb in her hair
in years because it got all
tangled. I was shocked as
she told Maury that insects
landed in her hair and
stayed there. And I thought
I had problem hair.
After watching the show, I
started thinking about my
hair and instead of viewing
it as a problem I decided to
focus on the assets. Ok my
hair was very fine... but that
meant a couple minutes with
the blow dryer was all it
took to dry it. My hair grew
very slowly... but that meant
I saved money when I got
highlights because it took
them forever to grow out.
Also I would never have to
pay for an "UPDO" because
there was not enough hair
to do up!
I thought about my struggle
to have long hair. My dream
hair was a long, shiny mane.
I had given that idea up
long ago and decided to
settle for a chin length bob.
But that wasn't working out
either. My hair looked flat
and drab.
It was the same with my
fingernails. I wanted
medium length nails but nail
products and calcium
weren't producing results.
Right then and there I
decided to ACCEPT what I
had and work with it to
make life SIMPLE and
ENJOYABLE. Instead of
fighting my genetic code I
would work with it.
Next stop the hairdresser. I
had my hair cut off to a very
simple bob that hit just
below the ear. On "good
hair days" I could wear it
over the ear. And on bad
ones or when I got caught
in the rain, I could slick it
back behind the ear.
Highlights to give it body
and more shine were added
and I purchased products
that while they don't work
miracles they were suitable
for my hair.
Next I threw out all my nail
hardeners. They might work
for other people but they
weren't working for me. I
filed my nails down to a
simple, blunt length. I
purchased a very good file
and a chamois buffer. If I
paint them I will use clear
or a pale pink. But usually
they are just buffed to a
healthy glow. No more
struggle with the nails. Wow!
It's amazing how good it
feels and how much simpler
our lives become when we
accept what we have and
work it to our advantage.
Think about what you have,
that you struggle to change.
Is it something you can
change or is it something
that you can't. Life is so
much easier when you work
with what you have.
Indeed, no one is going to
mistake me for the Breck
Girl or the lady in the Herbal
Essence Shampoo
commercial. But that's ok
because I enjoy my hair
and nails now and that's
what matters!

No comments: